There are lots of great ways to eat an avocado–one of the superstars of a Mediterranean Diet. Easy to peel, they contain good fats and are linked with a reduced risk for chronic diseases. Here are ten ways to enjoy their buttery, creamy flavor and vibrant color:
1. Mash a quarter of an avocado on toast for a quick breakfast or lunch.
2. Top chili with chopped avocado and cilantro.
3. Use chopped avocado in place of tomatoes in salsa or add to a tomato based salsa, homemade or store-bought, to create a tasty dip for chips.
4. Slices of avocado taste great in sandwiches or wraps.
5. Try adding chopped or mashed avocado to pasta. I like the looks of this dish from Inspired Taste. Simple enough for a quick dinner.
6. Add chopped avocado to salads–both green and grain varieties.
7. Add to eggs or omelets before cooking.
8. Coarsely mash with a lemon juice and salt as a dip for chips or crackers. Or spread on sandwiches as a healthy alternative to mayonnaise.
9. Feed it to your baby! Avocado is recommended by baby expert, Dr. Sears, as a great first food for its healthfulness and versatility.
10. Make an avocado butter by mashing a ripe avocado with one tablespoon of lemon or lime juice, salt, and pepper and use a topper for a baked potato.
And remember, if you find a good deal on them at the store, they can be frozen! (Best used in mashed form.) Stock up!
I love all these ideas for avocado. There’s something about avocados that make me happy – even to look at them. I’m going to try the avocado butter this week. What a terrific idea!!
I love that avocados make you happy! Hope you enjoy the avo butter. Thanks for the comment.