Not So Bad Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups of rolled oats
- 3/4 Cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 Cup millet (uncooked)
- 1/2 Cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg. Mix in vanilla.
Whisk next 4 dry ingredients together. Add to butter and beat until just mixed. Stir in millet and chocolate chips.
Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 9-10 minutes.
Those cookies were barely out of the oven before they were gone. No need to mention that they contained less sugar and more whole grains than the average cookie. My son loves the pleasant crunch of the millet and apparently the others did too because I heard nary a complaint.
Simple Microwave Popcorn
Pour 1/4 cup of popcorn into a paper lunch sack. Fold the top of the bag a couple of times to keep it closed but leaving lots of room for expanding corn. Stick in your microwave on high for about 3 minutes.
There’s a lot of difference between microwaves so the thing to do is use your ears. Listen to the popping.
Pull the bag out before all the popping stops (this could lead to burnt popcorn)–until just when it slows to a few seconds between pops.
Careful! Open the bag cautiously–away from your face. Hot steam can burn.
If you’re so inclined, drizzle on some butter, add salt. Other suggestions include:
- My favorite, add nutritional yeast (not baking or brewers yeast). This adds a “cheesy” taste as well as vitamin B-12.
- I haven’t tried this myself but plan on doing so. Spray corn lightly with an oil mister. I’ve seen them at home/kitchen stores. Then add salt or other spices so some of it will stick to the popcorn and not end up in the bottom of the bag.
- Other add-ins might be sugar and cinnamon, grated Parmesan cheese, salt and chili powder, or a new and exciting combination of whatever pleases you.
I’ve nominated you for A Super Sweet Blogging Award
I’m not sure what that is, but I accept! I’ll take all the support I can get. 🙂
It means I really like what you’ve been doing and by putting you onto my blog and you getting the award it will help to build your readership
Well thanks! And the feeling is mutual. Lemon tart is on the menu tonight, BTW.
Now that has made me really happy!
Thank you … and pass me a virtual slice, I love that tart